Thursday, January 05, 2006

Where'd I Go Wrong?




Overheard in a classroom one day:

Teacher: As I point to you, I'd like each child to stand up, introduce themselves, and tell the class what they'd like to be when they grow up. (Teacher points to a young man)

Stan: "My name is Stan, and when I grow up to be a man, I'd like to go to Japan...if I can."

Teacher: "Very good, Stan." (Points to a young lady)

Sadie: "My name is Sadie, and when I grow up to be a lady, I'd like to have a baby...if I can."

Teacher: "Very good, Sadie." (Points to another young man)

Dan: "My name is Dan, damn Japan, when I grow up to be a man I wanna help Sadie with her plan...if I can!"

While sitting around the Urban Coffeetable again I mused about what this world is coming to as far as our kids are concerned. I mean, theses kids need their asses kicked somethin' fierce. ...talkin' back to their parents, teachers, and elders in general; cussin' like some kinda daggone sailor. And when did young girls start gettin' so fast? I've seen more 10-13 year olds shakin' what their mammas gave them than I care to count. Man, there's even lesbian gangs in high schools--lesbian gangs?!? What...the...phuck?!?! Oh well, I guess if priests can rape little boys, lesbians can form gangs. And speaking of boys, you can't get a young man to keep his shirt tucked in for nothin', and if you're not wearing the Dickies black or dark blue "prison" uniform, well, you're just a beyotch!

With all the good things there are going on in the school systems around the country, sometimes I just can't see the forest for the trees. Teaching is great, but I often wonder if the words "I'm a teacher" are just vernacular trickery for "where did I go wrong with my life?"

No comments: